Week 3 of the NFL season is done and dusted. For some teams, it was notable for surprising wins, (Bills and Browns), some it was shocking performances, (Vikings and…well, mainly lets not forget how bad the Minnesota Vikings were) whilst the San Francisco 49ers look into the potential abyss, with their star players out for the season.
Week 3 MVP
Drew Brees – 40.54 points
It helps when you get overtime, but Brees and Ryan were well out in front before the added time. Brees completed for 396 yards and three touchdowns, whilst also rushing two Touchdowns himself, with his spin move at the end of the game, bamboozling two Falcons defenders to help take us into overtime against their biggest rivals. Not bad for a 39 year old.
It could’ve been Brees or Ryan, or Ryan’s rookie Receiver, Calvin Ridley, but we just need to give it Brees on this occasion. Adrian Peterson showed class is permanent, with 24.00 points, and Jordy Nelson had a huge half for Oakland, but vanished in the second half.Embed from Getty Images
Next week Brees faces a New York Giants team he scored 7 TDs against in 2015…what price on him appearing here again next Tuesday morning?
Notable mentions Matt Ryan (40.16) Calvin Ridley (33.50) Adrian Peterson (24.00)
Calvin Ridley got three touchdowns, and could’ve been MVP, but he was probably on most people’s bench. 33.50 points for the Atlanta Falcons rookie from 3 TDs and 146 yards. Saquon Barkley impressed for New York Giants against a strong Houston defence. 82 rushing yards and a TD along with 35 receiving yards are okay stats, but he’s going to explode one of these weeks when up against a worse defence.
Dallas Goedert scored a TD and got 73 yards, for 13.30 points, the most by a Tight End this weekend. The difference having a star QB can make! Although he could prove to be a bit boom and bust this season, that Eagles twin TE package is strong.
Now, lets get onto the Quarterbacks, as although Sam Darnold struggled a bit this week, we finally saw a couple of the new QB class. Josh Allen got 196 yards and a Touchdown, along with rushing himself for two TDs. 27.74 points for Allen, and against the much lauded Vikings defence! As well as Allen, we finally saw Baker Mayfield for the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night. Coming in for a concussed Taylor, Baker picked up 201 yards and a receiving TD for 9.84 points.Embed from Getty Images
Not much from other rookies previously mentioned here, with Will Dissly and DJ Moore being quiet, whilst Phillip Lindsay was ejected after taking jabs at Ravens defenders.
Perfect Line Up
QB – Drew Brees (40.54)
RB1 – Adrian Peterson (24.00)
RB2 – Carlos Hyde (22.30)
WR1 – Calvin Ridley (33.50)
WR2 – Robert Woods (23.70)
TE – Dallas Goedert (13.30)
FLEX – Jordy Nelson (23.30)
K – Matt Prater (14.00)
D/ST – Buffalo Bills (17.00) Total – 211.64 Points
Lessons learnt/to learn
- Did you draft Calvin Ridley, or more importantly, did you have the cajones to start him? Most people we spoke to, had a lot of points going towards their bench.
- San Francisco 49ers were a team I really fancied this year, and although they had lost two games this season, were still showing progress, and with Jimmy G they had a star. Now Jimmy G is gone, watch carefully who they bring in to replace him. CJ Beathard at least has shown a good connection with Marquise Goodwin in the past, but if they bring in a Tom Savage et al, dump and run.
- Wentz looks rusty, but to be expected, and a rusty Wentz is still better than Foles. When all his receivers return shortly, then expect some bigger points from Wentz.
- The Patriots usually are slow to start on defence, but they suck on both sides of the ball this year! Edelman still has a week out before his return.
- Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen will both start in Week 4. Baker plays against a ropey Oakland defence, whilst Rosen has a harder job against Seattle. Baker could be worth a punt, in larger leagues, if you’ve just happened to have lost a QB. I’m on the Baker bus, I’m not embarrassed to admit it.
- FitzMagic made three picks yes, but still made over 400 yards. If he is dropped next weekend, then not only is he seriously unlucky, but reconsider all selections, but Mike Evans, on that Tampa offence.